Every 20 minutes, another child is diagnosed with autism. Are you ready to meet this growing educational challenge? This authoritative guide is for practitioners-early interventionists, teachers, school counselors, psychologists-who are committed to the education and dignity of students with autism in preschool and elementary grades. Each chapter focuses on a critical issue and offers solutions, including:
- Improving communication, social, generalization and self-management skills;
- Designing instruction, intervention, and assessment;
- Including families in developing goals and interventions;
- Using students’ special interests to deliver instruction;
- Understanding and preventing challenging behavior;
- Evaluating practices to promote successful outcomes for students, families and practitioners.
By Erin Barton and Beth Hern. 2012. 336 pages. ISBN 978-1-41298-728-8. #S6083.