Excelling at math is no longer simply a matter of getting answers right. Today, the Common Core State standards require not only computational fluency, but also a deep level of comprehension and critical thinking skills.
Common Core Standards: A Step-by-Step Approach – Mathematics, Grades K-5 guides teachers in implementing instruction that builds the full range of mathematics skills outlined in the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics. Written by Toby Karten, an educator with more than 30 years of experience, this six-page (tri-fold) laminated guide clearly identifies that process and includes the following steps:
- Review CCS in math from prior, current and following years
- Determine student levels then decide topics for a particular timeframe for small groups and individuals
- Share these topics and goals with students in a child-friendly language
- Create a task analysis of a standard that includes visuals and graphic organizers
- Revisit and adjust groups and individual lessons based on formal and informal tests and assessments
Strategies are offered for individual grade-level teaching, from kindergarten through fifth grade. Examples and suggestions for differentiating instruction to meet the unique needs and learning styles of diverse students in inclusive classrooms are offered as well in this comprehensive tool for teachers.
By Toby Karten. 2012. 6 pages. ISBN 9781935609728. #S6078.Order Now!