Give students in grades K-5 a head start in achieving the critical knowledge and skills identified in the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts (ELA).
Common Core Standards: A Step-by-Step Approach – English Language Arts, Grades K-5 is an essential tool for all ELA teachers striving to ensure students meet these standards in each of the four strands of the ELA – Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening and Language. Written by Toby Karten, an educator with more than 30 years of experience, this six-page (tri-fold) laminated guide includes:
- Classroom management tips
- Core materials and resources
- Good teaching and assessment practices
Additionally, this valuable guide provides teachers with a step-by-step approach to teaching students in grades K-5 the literacy skills they need to meet the English and Language Arts Standards according to the CCSS. In one easy-to-read reference, this approach is broken down by grade level into concrete steps that include:
- Review ELA standards from prior, current and following years
- Determine student levels then decide topics for a particular timeframe for small groups and individuals
- Share these topics and goals with students in a child-friendly language
- Create a task analysis of a standard that includes visuals and graphic organizers
- Revisit and adjust groups and individual lessons based on formal and informal tests and assessments
An essential tool for any literacy teacher striving to help students meet the CCSS.