This reference guide by Christine Ditrano provides both school wide, as well as classroom strategies for preventing disruptive behavior and enhancing a school’s organizational climate using Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports, or PBIS. The multi-tiered PBIS problem-solving model is proactive and flexible, and provides a unifying framework for all school improvement efforts. It consists of four elements:
- Data for decision making
- Measurable Outcomes supported and evaluated by data
- Practices with evidence that these outcomes are achievable
- Systems that efficiently and effectively support implementation of these practices.
The guide outlines topics such as:
- PBIS structure
- PBIS team composition
- PBIS team tasks
- PBIS and RTI
- Establishing a clear set of positive expectations and behaviors
- Using a behavioral matrix
- Teaching behaviors directly
- Lesson planning
- Using data to make decisions
- Function-based interventions
- Developing a school-wide information system (SWIS).
It includes specific strategies for preventing and responding to problem behaviors at tiers 1, 2 and 3, and managing minor problem behaviors in classroom and non-classroom settings.
A succinct yet comprehensive tool for all teachers and administrators!
By Christine Ditrano, Psy.D. 2015. 6 pages. ISBN 978-1-93560-998-8. #NP220.Order Now!