In this quick-reference laminated guide, author Paula Kluth presents simple, effective strategies for supporting students with autism spectrum disorder in inclusive pre-K through 12th grade classrooms, and helping all learners succeed. Teachers will find up-to-date information about the diagnosis of ASD, what to do if you suspect a student is on the spectrum, and a list of needs of students with ASD. In addition, it recommends specific strategies for the following:
- Addressing/incorporating student fascinations and passions
- Helping students cope with change and transitions
- Building a supportive classroom community
- Creating a comfortable classroom
- Supporting students who resist doing classwork
- Creating Appropriate Assessments
- Creating accessible whole-class discussions and lectures
- Teaching literacy and math to students on the spectrum
- Helping students manage homework
- Preventing behavior struggles
In addition to being a valuable classroom resource for teachers, paraprofessionals, and support professionals, this concise yet comprehensive guide is also a perfect tool for pre-service or in-service professional development. Parents will also benefit from the strategies outlined in the guide.
By Paula Kluth. 2017. 6 pages. ISBN 978-1-93853-920-6. #NP217.Order Now!